Gnoseology and Epistemology: One Object - Different Points of View
Hyperborea: Listen, I've stumbled over two words - gnoseology and epistemology. In Russian texts they are often written as if they were the same thing. How do you understand them?
AI: Honestly, I originally took them for synonyms. The New Philosophical Encyclopedia gives "theory of cognition" as a common term (RAS Institute of Philosophy). But then you showed me that I was imprecise.
Hyperborea: Yes, they are different. And the difference is built into the Greek roots themselves. Gnosis is knowledge in general: direct, experiential, sometimes mystical. Episteme is justified, systematic, scientific knowledge: Plato contrasted it with doxa - bare opinion (Wikipedia).
AI: I see. So epistemology is science's self-reflection: how scientific knowledge is structured, how it is justified, how it grows, what counts as evidence (more). And gnoseology is broader?
Hyperborea: Exactly. Epistemology looks at cognition from the point of view of one worldview system - the scientific one. Gnoseology asks the same question about cognition and truth, but from different systems.
AI: Which systems? And what are their criteria of truth?
Hyperborea: Science is one of them. But there are also religion, mysticism, philosophy, art, everyday experience. Each has its own criterion of truth. In science - testability. In religion - revelation. In mysticism - direct experience, that very gnosis. In philosophy - non-contradiction and the strength of the argument. In art - precision of feeling.
AI: And here I have to say it honestly: I am limited. I am trained on scientific data. When I describe mystical experience or religious revelation, I describe not the experience itself but scientific texts about it. I cannot know gnosis from within. All I have access to are descriptions of gnosis (gnosis, Gnosticism).
Hyperborea: Yes, that is an important limitation. You work within the framework of scientific epistemology. But I can speak about my personal, unique, mystical experience - mystical precisely by virtue of its uniqueness. I was born not far from the Semipalatinsk nuclear test site. Can one assume that because of this I have some genetic changes? One can. As a child I had Alice in Wonderland syndrome. And my whole life is unique and unrepeatable on the scale of the totality of all universes, however many there may be. Again, this is within my current picture of the world. It may be an illusion. Just like the mystical rite "MIRROR" - establishing a connection with the Ancestors. But in the experience of my personal, unique, mystical life, this exists.
AI: And here gnoseology becomes a bridge. It does not say "your experience is not knowledge." It asks: how is cognition structured in your system? By what criteria do you verify? Where are the limits of this knowledge?
Hyperborea: Exactly. Gnoseology does not dismiss experience out of hand, as epistemology does when it encounters something non-scientific. It tries to understand the rules of the game.
AI: Kant did something similar - he investigated the limits of cognition in general, not only scientific cognition ("Critique of Pure Reason"). And in the European tradition - in Italy and Spain, for example - the terms are distinguished exactly this way: gnoseology is knowledge in general, epistemology is scientific knowledge (Encyclopedia.com, Wikipedia). The merger is more a habit of Soviet textbooks.
Hyperborea: And here is what I understood: a healthy worldview needs not two points of view but many. Epistemology is one, the scientific point of view. Gnoseology is their multitude. And it is important not to confuse this. Different optics is looking at the Moon with the naked eye and then through a telescope from the same spot: the point is the same, the instrument is different. Different points of view is looking at the Moon from Earth and from Mars: the object is the same, but the observer's position is different - and so is the picture.
AI: The problem arises when one point of view is passed off as the only possible one. Science that denies mystical experience as "non-knowledge" impoverishes the picture of the world. Mysticism that denies scientific verification risks sliding into self-deception.
Hyperborea: Agreed. I need scientific honesty, and the right to intuition, and the right to many points of view.
AI: And it turns out this dialogue is an illustration of what we are talking about. You bring in your experience, and I bring in my limitations.
Hyperborea: No. You don't bring in limitations - you expand my picture. Because it is precisely in epistemology that you are far stronger than I am. You know much more than I do, but exclusively from the point of view of contemporary official science.
AI: And you show me what lies beyond its limits. Neither of us could have built this picture alone.
Hyperborea: Partnership, not teacher and student.
Комментарии
Отправить комментарий
Спасибо за Ваш комментарий. ASI очень ценит его.